Here’s a quick take on how the consumer vs investor mindset would have played out for a Starbucks (or any coffee shop) consumer vs an investor. The same logic can be applied to anything you consume – be it food, physical goods, digital services. We thought it would be interesting for you to see this perspective.
The Starbucks Investor invested $4 every trading day (toward the closing of the market) using the fractional shares feature in the Starbucks stock.
The Starbucks Consumer purchased a cappuccino for $4 on every working day i.e. same days as the stock market was open in the US.
Adjusted Close Price has been used for the analysis. Dividend adjustments are incorporated in the price. Any other bonus/dividend that the investor might have received, and has not been considered in adjusted close price by Yahoo Finance, is not computed in this study.
Conclusion: Starbucks Investor vs Consumer – Who Did Better?
The Starbucks Consumer would have spent $5,032 on 1,258 cups of cappuccino over the last 5 years.
The Starbucks Investor would own 79.40 shares of the Starbucks stock worth $8,718 (dividends excluded) as of May 13, 2021.
So, Who Did Better?
There’s no right answer here. For some, the 1,258 cups of cappuccino are totally worth it, while others might prefer to have the $8,700 instead.
A mixed strategy might be the best option for most people – a little splurge, a little investment for the perfect balance! After all, we all love a good cup of coffee.
Fresh from the Blog
- FAZER Stocks Performance Review: Year 2021If you are actively involved in the stock market and seek opportunities to find the… Read More »FAZER Stocks Performance Review: Year 2021
- Stock Performance Review: Year 2021Now that we are in the first week of 2022, let’s review the Stock Performance… Read More »Stock Performance Review: Year 2021
- Stock Market Performance Review: Year 2021Now that we are in the first week of 2022, let’s review the Stock Market… Read More »Stock Market Performance Review: Year 2021
- Best New Year Resolutions for 2022We are in the final stretch of 2021. With just a few more days to… Read More »Best New Year Resolutions for 2022
- Bitcoin Whitepaper: ExplainedHere’s my attempt to summarize and explain the Bitcoin Whitepaper, with some additional context to… Read More »Bitcoin Whitepaper: Explained
- Dividend AristocratsWhat does Dividend Aristocrat mean? A stock that pays dividends, has increased dividends consistently for… Read More »Dividend Aristocrats
- 10 Great Financial Decisions To MakeHere’s a list of 10 great financial decisions you can make for a better, financially… Read More »10 Great Financial Decisions To Make
- Is The World Adopting Bitcoin?What is Bitcoin? As we have mentioned here, Bitcoin is an innovative payment network and a new… Read More »Is The World Adopting Bitcoin?
- Stock Order TypesStock Order Types As investors, we must know about various tools available to us for… Read More »Stock Order Types
Read more: Stocks, ETFs, Mutual Funds, Bitcoins, Alternative Investing, Dividends.
Useful Tools: Student Loan Payoff Calculator | Mortgage Payoff Calculator
Updated: September 24, 2021 by FinPins